BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Vacation in Colorado

Happy [belated] Flag Day, everyone!

And congratulations to my grandparents, who celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary that weekend. They very graciously flew me out to see them (along with most of the rest of my side of the family), and I brought TheFry with me!

It was my first time traveling alone with the little guy, and man was he a trooper! Of course, I was pretty laid back about the whole thing (going there, at least—the trip home was another story, unfortunately…)



Here’s TheFry playing on the floor of the Denver airport. No, he didn’t stay on the blanket the whole time, but I tried. He’s wearing his official airplane-trip romper. It has a dinosaur on it and says “Cute-O-Saurus” but still happens to trip people up because of all the yellow. With that and his luscious locks, 9 out of 10 passersby told me I had such a “cute little girl.”


We shared lunch at a “Mexican” food place and I got a fish burrito. I asked for the second-hottest sauce they had, but it was still rather lacking in spice, so I shared some of the tidbits with TheFry. Specifically, he enjoyed the little pieces of shredded fish, black beans, tomatoes, and little clumps of rice. Seeing as how Tex-Mex was my #1 most-craved food through 2/3 of my pregnancy, this comes as no surprise to me.

And now, for the pics!


Here’s TheFry crawling about at my Grandma’s.



And rolling along, as usual…


With Grandma…


And flirting for the camera with MamaFish!

The trip home was nothing short of a nightmare, though we didn’t have the worst of it. The airline was horrible to us, but what do you do? We got home safe and sound, and were able to leave on a very early flight. God provided us a newfound friend who lives just down the street from us. She was able to drive us home so PapaFish wouldn’t have to wake up too early in the morning.

In other news, I tried a white cake recipe again, and it turned out pretty well:


I used the recipe for white cake at the Joy of Baking website. It turned out pretty moist, but I still think I over-mixed it. The taste was good, but I still like the one I made with the cake mix better. I think next time I will try either using cake flour, confectioner’s sugar, or both. Also, I like not having to use the egg yolks, as I think the cake is a prettier color without them. I’m afraid to get too adventurous, though, because I’m not nearly as good of a baker as I am of a cook (meaning, I can fly by the seat of my pants and still prepare an edible dinner, but if I do the same with a cake or a batch of cookies, it’s a one-way ticket to the trash can for those would-be confections).



The filling is a basic, generic-brand strawberry preserves. The buttercream is a Swiss Buttercream recipe from Smitten Kitchen. I found this blog via Google. I am amazed at all the wonderful cooks and bakers out there in Bloggerland. I think that blogs have become my new source for all kinds of amazing information—from networking with other parents, to cooking, to news, to news commentary, to history—people know so many things, and I am happy to share what I know if I can learn something from someone else!


0 comments: